At the moment, there’s not one singular definition as for what makes a ‘great’ DevOps Engineer. Every company has their own opinion – whether that be, my employees must be from a ‘Dev’ background, or they must have 10 years of Linux sysadmin experience.
Without a standard for everyone compare against, it can be hard knowing what actually makes these great engineers, and how to interview them, considering each interviewee may possess completely different skillsets to who you’ve previously spoken to.
The best way to conduct a DevOps interview, is to mix both soft skill and technical questions throughout, to ensure they have all the required competencies, and will still fit into your organisations culture.
Here are the top 5 questions to ask:
- In your opinion, what is the most important outcome a DevOps team should deliver?
- Have you ever achieved continuous delivery on the projects you’ve worked on previously? If so, how have you managed to achieve this? What were the keys to your success?
- To ensure DevOps team success, what traits should each engineer possess?
- How will you ensure smooth communication between all different team boundaries?
- What operational requirements are critical to understand before beginning a project?
These questions are only for use when filtering through your candidates to find the stronger candidates. Those that pass, should then be subject to a technical test ideally to ensure all hard skill requirements are also met.