The need for ‘DevOps’ adoption within businesses is one that has skyrocketed since the inception of Cloud. But, the questions remain: how has the cloud gained momentum? With its speed and ability to scale any size organisations it’s definitely an attractive option for businessees, but what comes next with cloud? And, more importantly – how can cloud help DevOps?
Here’s five ways that cloud is going to be vital to developers:
- Serverless; Developers no longer need to worry about servers, infrastructure, capacity, scaling or availability and is the natural evolution from microservices which addresses the costly drawback of cloud-computing – You only pay for what is used and have the option of scaling up/down.
- DevSecOps; Everyone in the software development life cycle is responsible for security, in essence bringing operations and development together with security functions.
- Gaining time back to write code; Time normally spent with on-prem tools is given back to writing code, which should always be a priority
- Supporting the latest technology; Most providers give access to AI, Analytics and Machine Learning – Most advanced teams should already be taking advantage of these technologies that are already supported in the cloud
- Guidance; Cloud providers give a wealth of assitance/guidance on best practices.
I have loved watching the Cloud industry grow over the last five years and am excited to see what happens next in 6, 12, 24 months.